JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
SUPERVISION: Reports to the Executive Director
Responsible for a variety of clerical tasks necessary to ensure the smooth operation of a busy office. The position requires proficiency in the following skills: reception, file management, database management, record keeping, and basic bookkeeping. Knowledge of Microsoft Word for Windows, as well as Excel, is necessary. Work is performed according to established procedures. Responsible for some financial record keeping, data entry, and files of the Chamber for accounts receivable and accounts payable and in proper format provides information to the Chamber appointed accounting firm. Ability to work independently and to prioritize tasks is necessary. Work performed must be accomplished with accuracy, productivity, and conformance to policies and procedures. Prepares and maintains reports, documents, correspondence, and records related to the Chamber's operations. This position requires dealing directly with government officials, executives of private industry, and the public sector in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School graduate or the equivalent plus two years of general office work experience that included work with basic bookkeeping, record keeping, word processing, and office support duties such as routing phone calls and preparing correspondence. Must be proficient on computers with the ability to learn new computer software. A current driver’s license is required.
• Act as the receptionist for all staff members answering routine inquiries in person or by telephone in a courteous and tactful manner. Deal with government officials, executives of private industry and the public sector in a courteous, diplomatic manner.
• Transfer and screen calls to appropriate staff person; take messages and offer assistance as necessary. Seek information from the proper source, as necessary.
• Provide general clerical support to all staff members as required.
• Produce accurate, typed or computer-generated correspondence and reports that are neat and prepared in the appropriate format.
• Proofread all correspondence for grammar, spelling, and typos before the final output of materials.
• Maintain various event files, organization listings and mailing lists according to established procedure; files may be on the computer or hard copy.
• Place calls to committee members for meeting notice or meeting reminder as needed.
• Accounts Receivable – A daily reconciliation of all monies received, generation of bank deposits, generation of A/R statements.
• Accounts Payable – Coding of expense accounts, verification of invoices.
• Bank Deposits – Generate and make bank deposit and ensure information is provided to the accounting firm.
• Create and maintain accurate records as required for all events including ComFish Alaska, Crab Festival, Litter Clean-Up Day, Annual Dinner Meeting, and USCG Appreciation Dinner.
• Create and maintain accurate records for all membership accounts.
• Process monthly billing of the membership dues.
• Update and maintain all information necessary for accurate membership directory.
• Send all correspondence related to membership billing and renewals.
• Assist in filing various reports, correspondence, and documents in appropriate files; the system is alphabetical and by subject.
• Create typed file folders as needed.
• Assist in records retention and archive maintenance.
• Maintain computer files in an accurate and efficient manner.
• Maintain and update mailing and membership lists.
• Generate computer form letters to members as appropriate.
• Generate computerized billing letters as appropriate.
• Generate computer mailing labels and postcards as requested.
• Assist with other computer projects as assigned.
• Open, distribute incoming mail.
• Process all outgoing mail, including letters, packages, and all bulk mail items and merchandise orders.
• Make appropriate reply to requests for information about Kodiak as it may relate to the relocation of family or business, educational requests, trade shows.
• Seek to maintain calm and efficient office environment.
• Report non-functioning office equipment in a timely manner.
• Monitor inventory of office supplies & oversee purchase.
• Maintain the offices in a clean, neat, and presentable fashion.
• Seek to develop good working relationships with Chamber staff, Chamber members, and Board of Directors.
• Monitor and organize inventory of merchandise.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of modern administrative assistant and general office principles and procedures.
• Knowledge of basic bookkeeping functions – A/P, A/R, bank deposits.
• Knowledge of correct and effective use of English grammar and business math.
• Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely.
• Ability to work with staff and public in a pleasant and diplomatic manner.
• Ability to learn and master the use of a variety of office machines and equipment including a computer, calculator, copier, telephone, and fax machine.
• Must possess strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
• Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
• Must be able to attend meetings and Chamber functions as required.
Required Associated Activities
• Participation at regularly scheduled and special general membership meetings, forums, Business After Hours, Chamber sponsored activities, and others as directed.
• Develop and prepare fliers as required for various Chamber activities.
• Social Media management and digital marketing creation a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to ChamberDirector@kodiak.org. Starting pay is $14 - $16 per hour and DOE.
KODIAK CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
100 E. Marine Way, Suite 300
Kodiak, AK 99615-6306