Health, Safety and Training Manager
Health, Safety and Training Manager
Position Description: Under the direction of the Pacific Spaceport Complex – Alaska (PSCA) Spaceport Manager, the Health, Safety and Training Manager plans, directs, and implements PSCA’s health, safety, training, and environmental programs and ensures a positive, safe, and healthy work environment in accordance with Federal, State or specific applicable regulations. Leads the company’s HAZCOM, HAZMAT, HAZWASTE and HAZWOPER programs.Must be able to support departments in taking a proactive approach to ensure compliance and promote a culture of quality, safety, and continuous improvement throughout the company. Assists leadership on other environmental compliance as required. This position is also responsible for ensuring all workplace are compliant with State and Federal OSHA requirements.
The is a Full-Time Exempt position in Kodiak, Alaska. It is a nominal 40-hour, 5-day workweek. Schedule may vary depending on site operational needs and flexibility is required.Primary Job Responsibilities:
1. Manage health, safety, training, and bio-environmental sustainability activities through implementation of effective policies and procedures.
2. Investigate and maintain records of all work-related injuries and/or illnesses, for assigned location(s).
3. Provide statistical analysis and assists in the development of effective health and safety countermeasures to continuously improve safety standards.
4. Manage company hazardous material storage and hazardous waste accumulation points to exceed applicable regulatory guidance.
5. Conduct routine workplace safety inspections and environmental audits to detect existing or potential accident hazards and determine corrective or preventative measures.
6. Manage and maintain all regulatory reporting to ensure compliance with State, Federal and local Health, Safety and Training requirements.
7. Assist in accident investigations and prepare accident reports required by regulatory agencies as well as ALS management.
8. Communicate all findings, concerns, and deficiencies to management to effect timely and necessary corrections.
9. Respond to customer inquiries and employee safety questions and concerns providing guidance as needed as well as in emergency situations during or after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate health, safety, and environmental concerns. Advises leadership appropriately.
10. Promote an accident-free work environment by preparing and delivering training programs to cover emergency procedures, workplace safety, and other relevant topics to all staff.
11. Lead the presentation of safety communication meetings.
12. Maintain inventory of safety forms, supplies, materials, and equipment; select and manage PPE requirements.
13. Ensure that safety data sheets are maintained and readily accessible when needed.
14. Respond to customer inquiries and refer clients to the appropriate channels.
15. Leads HAZWOPER response as required to any hazardous waste spills.
16. Oversees company Lock Out/Tag Out (LT/LO) Program.
17. Maintain employee training records, qualified employee documentation, and notify employees of renewal requirements.
18. Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of Federal and State regulations and applicability to facility to ensure compliance.
- Knowledgeable on environmental requirements for Environmental Permitting, Industrial Waste, Storm Water, Above Ground Tanks, Hazardous Waste Management, HAZWOPER, Confined Space, et. al.
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of emergency medical services, patient advocacy, and incident management.
- Ability to perform firefighting work, including preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires to protect lives, property, and the environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic environment and an ability to complete assignments with little or no supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to think clearly and logically, exercise sound judgment, and make quick and appropriate decisions in emergency situations.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills and be able to communicate in a clear and concise fashion to personnel at all levels of the organization.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Physical ability to perform all duties listed.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, overtime, and on weekends, as required by mission milestones.
- High school diploma or equivalent certificate.
- Five (5) years of industrial safety experience, and strong knowledge of OSHA 1910. Desired.
- First Aid/CPR certification is required or must be able to obtain with 6 months of hire.
- HAZWOPER 40 hour required or must be able to obtain with 6 months of hire.
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM) certification, or equivalent (preferred).
- OSHA 30-hour or similar (preferred).
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- U.S. Citizenship and ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Secret security clearance in accordance with 32 CFR 117.10; existing clearance preferred.
- Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of Aurora Launch Services to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
A competitive salary and benefits package, determined upon experience level of individual, will be negotiated after an offer to hire has been given.
Please apply online on Indeed.com or send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions call (907) 486-2271. This position will remain open until filled. Visit application here.