KCHC is looking to fill a temporary part time Lab / COVID-19 Testing Personnel position in Kodiak Alaska. This position will be Monday - Friday, approximately 10-20 hours per week.
This is a non-benefits eligible position.
Provides direct support to the Lab Technician and the Lab Manager and serves as the main team member in the processing of COVID-19 testing and transporting of lab samples.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Acts as a member of the KCHC Healthcare Team in the provision of health services to individuals, families, and/or their communities. Works collaboratively with patients and their caregivers to the extent preferred by each patient as well as with other members of the KCHC Healthcare Team to accomplish shared goals within and across settings to achieve coordinated, high-quality care. Provides ongoing guidance, support, and education to other members of the KCHC Healthcare Team as it pertains to ensuring effective, quality primary care for KCHC patients and their families.
1. Conducts COVID laboratory diagnostic tests accurately. Reports results to the medical record via Epic in a timely manner. Extreme values (critical values) are reported directly to the KCHC providers or KCHC clinical staff as appropriate.
2. A high level of detail needed and the ability to produce accurate results.
3. Completes and documents quality control procedures. Communicates with and consults as necessary with the Lab Manager to remedy an issue if a lab procedure shows inaccuracy.
4. Handles all biological materials safely by following standard precautions. Obtains specimens in a safe manner, taking all precautions deemed necessary by KCHC Clinical Policies and Procedures, KCHC Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and the various regulatory agencies.
5. Responsible for following all COVID-19 testing as described in KCHCs SOP. Not limited to but including transporting materials between sites (DL required), completing/scanning/faxing paperwork.
6. Keeps the Lab Manager informed of departmental needs and concerns as they arise.
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Education: High School Diploma required
2. Experience: Experience working in a medical setting or laboratory preferred
3. Licensure/Certification: Valid Driver License Must possess current BLS certification upon hire or obtain one within 6 months of date of hire.
4. Other Qualifications:
Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with all levels of staff personnel.
Team-oriented and able to work collaboratively with staff. Strong problem-solving and time-management skills.
Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, medical office environment with frequent interruptions, public contact, and occasional crisis situations.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with sensitive medical information and foster an ethical work environment.
Ability and willingness to carry out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
c. Cultural Competence:
Demonstrates complete understanding and responds effectively with sensitivity to special populations served by KCHC. Special populations include, but are not limited to, those defined by race, ethnicity, language, age, sex, sexual orientation, economic standing, disability status, migrant, homelessness, seasonal workers, and the uninsured.
5. Attendance: Regular attendance and punctuality is expected and required.
6. English Language: Must be able to read, write, and speak English.